About Neck Lift
This information is intended for general information only and should not be considered as medical advice on the part of Health-Tourism.com. Any decision on medical treatments, after-care or recovery should be done solely upon proper consultation and advice of a qualified physician.
What is Neck Lift?
Neck lift surgery, also referred to as Platysmaplasty or Cervicoplasty, is surgery to tighten and firm loose skin on the neck and correct a sagging jaw line. Neck lift surgery is often undertaken along with a face lift procedure and liposuction, and it is designed to help create a more youthful appearance.
How is Neck Lift carried out?
Two techniques are used within a Neck Lift Surgery procedure:
How long will Neck Lift last?
- Platysmaplasty: This neck lift procedure alters and tightens the neck muscles. The surgeon manipulates the muscle through incisions under the jaw and may remove muscle. This is an optional procedure in the neck lift surgery.
- Cervicoplasty: This procedure firms and tightens the skin on the neck and removes excess loose skin. The surgeon trims the skin through incisions behind the ears and repositions the skin over the neck.
Neck lift surgery is not permanent although the effects last many years, depending on the patient’s age and lifestyle.
Duration of procedure/surgery : The average neck lift surgery will take between 2 and 3 hours. If neck lift surgery is completed at the same time as a face lift the duration of the procedure will increase.
Days admitted : An overnight stay is often required after a neck lift, particularly if a face lift procedure also takes place.
Anesthesia : Neck lift surgery usually takes place under general anesthesia.
Recovery : - Patients return to work after 1 week to 10 days following neck lift.
- Full activity levels, including exercise and strenuous work, can be resumed after 1 month.
Risks : Neck lift is a common procedure although some risks do exist.
- Allergic reaction to the anesthesia.
- Unsatisfactory result requiring a second procedure.
- Hematoma (blood collecting under the skin).
After care : - Deal with swelling and bruising after the neck lift with medication.
- Keep the dressing dry and clean for two weeks after neck lift.
- Elevate the neck while resting for a few days following the surgery.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin during the recovery time.
Learn more about Neck Lift