Hospital Médica Sur - Overview
Established in 1981, Médica Sur is Mexico City’s largest and most prestigious medical center. This 233-bed, JCI-accredited facility employs nearly 3800 doctors and surgeons and nurses to treat 15,038 inpatients and perform 10,871 surgeries annually.
To medical travelers Médica Sur is best known for cardiology, oncology, neurology/neuroscience, orthopedics. In 2013 Mayo Clinic announced that Médica Sur had passed Mayo's rigorous review process to become the first international member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. This allows Médica Sur physicians to collaborate with Mayo Clinic physicians toward offering patients the highest quality medical treatment in Mexico.
Being a highly specialized institution, Medica Sur offers medical tourism services. Backed by the quality of its medical professionals and state-of-the-art technology, it is acclaimed as one of the destinations in Latin America with high influx due to this concept, because of its high standards, prestige throughout Mexico and commitment to practice medical ethics.
Medical tourism is a practice that takes place in various parts of the world with great success. It is a sector activity that involves people who travel from their place of origin to another country (or within) to receive medical treatment.
You are our priority, once you decide to contact us for a treatment, we want you to feel tranquillity and confidence that you are in the best hands, and that your stay and medical procedure will meet your expectations, as we take great care in offering medical excellence with a human touch.
Médica Sur offers teaching and training spaces to young physicians in medical sciences. Educational programs aimed to medical and postgraduate students are taught by the Postgraduate Studies Division of the Faculty of Medicine of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). The teaching work is supported by the Center for Education, Research and Medical Innovation (CEIIM), the Virtual Institutional Educational Center (CEVI) and the Medical Simulation and Skills Center (CESIDEM), all of them part of Médica Sur.
Médica Sur has a scientific research unit, the Department of Biomedical Research, which develops and promotes research projects and participates in the development of continuing medical education courses. It publishes the scientific journals Médica Sur3 and Annals of Hepatolgy, as well as it promotes and coordinates the implementation, approval and follow-up of research protocols and leads the Research Committee for Human Studies and the Commissions of Ethics, Biosafety and Research of Médica Sur.
Medica Sur Complex
The Medica Sur complex is designed for you to have the best services at your fingertips without having to leave the premises. We have a strategically located hotel which is connected directly to the hospital. The Holiday Inn & Suites Hotel offers:
- 53 beautiful rooms
- 12 suites
- RestaurantAnd all the amenities a hotel in its class can offer. For your convenience, we also have:
- 2 restaurants
- 3 cafeterías
- 2 pharmacies. which also offer gift shop and convenience store items.
- 2 banks and ATMs of several major Mexican banks.
- Parking lot
Our operating rooms are on a par with the best hospitals in the world and we have the technical specifications required to perform any surgery with the most advanced technology in Mexico in the areas of Oncology, Cardiology, Neurosurgery, Cosmetic Surgery, Radiology and Imaging and Bariatric Surgery. We have: 204 hospital beds, 21 operating rooms, 557 medical offices serving all specialties. All areas used for patient care are appropriately adapted with handrails, ramps, adjustable beds and accessories needed for a comfortable and rapid recovery.
Centers of Excellence
Medica Sur is regarded as a world-class hospital which brings together the best healthcare team, with a group of selected medical doctors and nurses, and the best technological equipment, allowing us to offer high specialty treatments unique in Mexico.
- Imaging: The only hospital in Mexico with 3 multislice CT scanners.
- Nuclear Medicine: Implementation of therapy with radioactive substances.
- Angiography: A procedure that is used to detect diseases of the vascular system.
- MRI: Imaging with high power magnets, and non-invasive treatment.
- Comprehensive Cancer Centre: The first healthcare centre in Mexico with interdisciplinary cancer treatment consisting of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, nutrition, and palliative care.
- Infusional Therapy Unit: Specialized centre for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
- Radiation therapy: Non-invasive procedures to treat cancer.
- Gamma Knife Radio Surgery: High technology to treat lesions and tumours inside the skull without surgery.
- Brain Microsurgery: Digital-image guided.
- Endoscopy: Diagnostic or therapeutic medical procedure for children and adults.
- Gastroenterology: Specialty focused on diseases developed in the digestive tract.
- Urology: Diagnosis and treatment of urologic diseases.
We are the best qualified hospital in quality and health services in Mexico.
Médica Sur is a world-class hospital, part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. Like Mayo Clinic, our operation is structured around the needs of our patients.
We are proud to have been the first hospital outside the United States to be part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network and the only one in Latin America.
- Some of our founders made their medical specialties there and were inspired by their values and philosophy to give life to our hospital.
- Year after year we carry out high-level medical seminars and symposiums together to keep our doctors at the forefront of scientific knowledge in their area of work.
- Specialists from both institutions work together on medical activities on a daily basis.
- In selected cases, we conduct inter-consultations and second opinion meetings in both directions, to take advantage of the experience that the two institutions accumulate together.
We have obtained multiple national and international accreditations. One of the most valued by our foreign patients is the accreditation of the Joint Commission International (JCI), the world leader in the improvement of quality and medical assistance in health systems. Its accreditation is globally considered as the gold standard.
We are aware that you are going to travel outside of your country, to receive a treatment for your health and that you may not speak Spanish. We have you covered:
- We will accompany you and keep you informed throughout your stay, in English or Spanish.
- We will pick you up the airport and bring you to the Holiday Inn & Suites México Médica Sur that we have inside the hospital facilities, so you do not have to make additional trips during your hospital stay: you will be just a few steps away from your medical services.
- When it's time, we'll take you to the airport for your flight back.
- If you also want to take the opportunity to get to know Mexico, we will guide you in the selection of tours to the most important destinations in Mexico City or other locations in our country.
Departments and specialty centers at Hospital Médica Sur
- Transportation services
- Personal escort available
- Flight arrangements
- Financing available
- Electronic medical records
- Insurance coordination
- Accommodation arrangements
- Hospitals has liability insurance
- Number of doctors: 1620
- Year established: 1981
The data provided in this page was provided by Hospital Médica Sur
or it's represetatives.
last updated on Mar 28, 2019.
Please read our disclaimer
If you have found any errors or missing data, please